Social media is full of posts from desperate parents looking for the latest toy fad their kids have to have and is impossible to find. Why not go the other direction and take a stroll down memory lane? The very same toys you and the generations before you enjoyed, continue to delight kids today! Let’s take a look at 12 classic toys your kids will love as much as you did.
You might think of shopping Toys R Us for the season’s hottest toys but they also have a large inventory of the top classic toys. Who can forget the appeal of Mr. Potato Head? I still remember where I got mine and how it was one of my favorite toys. The spud is still a hot potato today. Today, there are larger sets, a wife and more that add to the staying power of this creative toy.
1. For little ones who are just starting to walk the Fisher Price Corn Popper with it’s popping balls and fun sounds entertain and encourage walking, as well as counting and visual tracking. This classic has been a hit with toddlers for years.
2. The Chatter Telephone was introduced by Fisher Price in 1961. The ringing rotary dial and friendly interactive design make it the ultimate pretend play toy decades later. I remember my Chatter Telephone that I had as a child and it was a favorite of mine. My kids had their own and loved it just as much as I did. With eyes that roll up and down, it is funny to think we had an Eye Phone way before Apple was even a company.
3. The Fisher Price Music Box Record Player was another favorite of my childhood and one my children love as well. This iconic, musical toy has been a hit since it was introduced in 1971. Includes 5 playable records and is a great take-a-long toy thanks to the convenient handle.
4. This next toy was one of my absolute favorites, I loved it so much I still have mine! My kids were big fans of the Pull-A-Tune Xylophone as much as their mother. With two ways to make music, this is a budding musicians delight. Tap the color bars with the attached mallet or pull it to hear a happy tune.
5. What child does not love blocks? Amazon.com has so many different kind of blocks to choose from but one kind that I remember fondly as a child and my kids love today are the wooden ABC blocks.
6. Browsing the Amazon site, I found so many classic toys that are as perfect today as they were decades ago. Who didn’t love playing with the Magic Screen Etch A Sketch growing up? Today’s kids will enjoy it just as much!
7. The Spirograph Deluxe Design Set is still going strong. First introduced in 1965, the distinctive wheels and rings of the Spirograph cleverly combine the principles of art and mathematics in a way that has inspired and captivated generations.
8. Monopoly is definitely a board game classic! The appeal of building a fortune buying, selling and trading the world’s most favorite properties never goes out of style!
9. Another toy standing the test of time is LEGO Building Bricks. These creative building blocks let kids design and build whatever their imagination desires.
10. Play-Doh is another creative toy that has kept generations of kids entertained. There are more fun accessories than ever before! Who can forget the thrill and the smell of opening a brand new can of Play-Doh?
11. Amazingly, Barbie looks as youthful today as when she was introduced in 1959. No matter her real age, the iconic doll shows no signs of slowing down or retiring.
12. My kids love wagons, let’s face it, most kids do. A wagon has so many uses and really seems to be a childhood favorite of many. What child would not want to find the Classic Radio Flyer Red Wagon under the tree on Christmas morning?
There is a reason these toys are as popular today as when they were introduced. They have staying power that lasts long after the tree and the decorations have been put away.