I have a secret: I’m living in denial. I don’t want to admit that I need to send 6 of my children back to school THIS Friday, August 4th. It’s just not possible. This summer flew by too fast! It cannot possibly be time to send them back to school already! But, alas, it’s true. As of this very moment, I have less than 48 hours before I need to drop my kids off for their first day of school.
Now that means I have less than 48 hours to get everything my kids need to get their school year off to a great start! Don’t be like me. Let my mistakes help YOU save money on school supplies and get them in plenty of time for a great start. Use these tips below to save money on school supplies, get exactly what your kids need, and help them get off to a fantastic year — no matter what grade they’re going into.
- Buy Only What They Need – Most schools and/or teachers will provide a list of exactly what your child will need to start the school year. Go by that list. If it doesn’t say they need a protractor, don’t bother buying a protractor. Get what the list says, and worry about other stuff later. You can always send in more at any time, but don’t stress over buying things they may not even use this year.
- Shop the Sales – The very best place to start is the Back to School Sales page here on PromosPro. It will tell you all of the best places to save money on school supplies, like with these Walmart promo codes. Find the best deals all in one place and use every discount code you can!
- Re-Use When Possible – My oldest son literally left his book bag in his locker every day of last year. When he brought it home at the end of the year, it still looked like it was brand new. He will not be getting a new book bag this year, and he can just reuse the one from last year. We also have a stash of extra folders, binders, pencils, and packs of paper that didn’t get used last year. We’ll be raiding that first to help check off our list and save money on school supplies.
- Don’t Go Overboard on Clothes – Regardless of what they may tell you, kids do not need 85 new outfits to have a great year of school. Grab a few staple pieces – a couple of pairs of jeans, some shorts, a few t-shirts, and maybe one or two special items like a skirt or something your kid really wants, but don’t go crazy with the clothes. (After all, you’re just going to have to wash all those clothes. Why create more work for yourself?!) Also, be sure to check out the sales and deals on clothing, like these American Eagle clothing discounts, shopping smart can help you save oodles of money.
- Don’t Freak Out If You Don’t Have Everything the First Day – This is my new mantra. I cannot freak out if I don’t have their entire list handled by Friday. Teachers understand. After all, their summer flew by too! I don’t want to take my sweet time getting them the items they need — after all, I don’t want to stress out my children or their teachers — but, if I don’t have it all by Friday, I’m certain it will be all right if I send it along Monday morning.
So, now that you’ve heard these ways to save money on school supplies, tell me: When do your kids go back to school, and are you ready?