sacrifice them for the love of impulse buying? Want to know how to shop within your budget? When you know that you now spending more than what you are earning, it’s time to stop and be conscious of budgeting.
Needs and wants are two different things which we sometimes make it as a reason for overspending. Don’t be the person who doesn’t have a saving, who doesn’t care about the future. Be the person who is always prepared in times of recession and emergencies. When you shop, try to keep in mind the basic rules of budgeting. Don’t just go to shopping malls unarmed because you might be tempted to overspend and drown yourself in debt later on.
Here are some basic tricks and tips that you might want to keep in mind before going on a shopping spree. These are only simple yet very effective ways on how to deal with overspending. So keep these things in mind and be ready to grow your bank account.
- Shop with a list. Yes, make a list first before going out so that you will have the idea on what you need to buy. It’s difficult for you to remember the things you need when you are already at the mall or on a grocery store because of the variety of items you are seeing.
- Bring only the money allocated on those expenses. Don’t bring your credit card; you might end up buying more that what it is intended. Credit cards are like our free pass on overspending. Stick to your budget and you’ll be fine.
- Bring coupons. It can help you save a few extra dollars.
- When shopping for accessories, shoes, bags, blazers or jackets, choose solid and bold colours only. These colours can be used on any colour combination and doesn’t go out of style.
- Avoid buying items you don’t actually need because it has a mark of 50% off.
- To buy or not to buy things in bulk? If it’s something you use everyday like oils, soaps, laundry detergents, then consider buy them in large packs so you can get a discount. But if you find something like an assorted package, check first each item, their expiration dates and how much you can save by adding the price per piece.
- Don’t be tempted by the word “Sale”. Check each item first of any defects and ask yourself if this is necessary or you can use some alternatives.
Be budget-conscious every time you shop for groceries and accessories. We need to save money on just about everything for future use. Use coupons for extra discounts and freebies. Use your credit card points to claim giveaways. A smart shopper knows how to budget and knows how to juggle expenses for the sake of her or his family’s future. Be a role model to your kids or family.