In our house, Memorial Day weekend signifies the beginning of summer. School is out, the pool is open, the sun is hot, the grill is ready, and it’s time for flip flops and shorts. Because there’s no school, that means your kids are home, and you have to come up with different ways to beat the heat and keep them entertained and happy.
Here are my suggestions on fun ways to kick off Summer with your kids:
- Host a Block Party – Throw a big “Summer Kick Off” Bash in your own backyard. Invite all your neighbors and friends, have everyone bring a side dish or dessert, grill up the hot dogs and hamburgers, and get the party rockin’! Have water balloon fights, sprinklers running, a slip-n-slide, and other fun water activities to keep everyone cool and having fun. Need a new grill to host a great party? Lucky for you, these Weber promo codes will score you a gorgeous new grill at a great price!
- Start or Join a Local Book Club – Check with your local library, as most offer fun summer reading programs and clubs for kids to keep them reading and their minds active all summer long. Just because school is out for the summer, you don’t want their little minds to shut down and forget everything they learned last year. By joining a book club or reading program, you’ll keep their minds ready to learn and grow when they start school again in the fall.
- Take a Staycation – Plan a day trip to a local Legoland and let your child’s creativity soar while they have fun. Legos improve hand/eye coordination, and there’s so much fun to be had at each Legoland location. Here are some great discounts for Legoland Florida, Legoland California, and Legoland Kansas City. You can save up to 30% off admission prices when you use those promo codes.
- Go Exploring – Do some research for your local area and discover new parks, waterfalls, and other fun places to explore. Our local area has started a fun rock-painting adventure where locals paint rocks and then hide them throughout the city. When people find them, they can keep them, (if they really love them), or rehide them somewhere else in town. My kids LOVE doing this, and we’ve stocked up on all the paint and supplies we’ll need to hide rocks all over town.
- Put Your Children In Charge of Cooking – Let them be chef for a day, and let them help you prepare all of the meals for that day. I know my kids always eat better when I let them help with dinner. When I put them in charge for the whole day, and they help with everything from grocery shopping for ingredients, meal prep, and serving the food, I don’t have to worry about them being too picky and not eating all day. They love to help, and it helps encourage their creativity and their willingness to serve others.
These are just a few fun ways to kick off summer with your kids and get this season off to a great start. What other ideas do you have? I’d love to hear what you’ll be doing to kick off summer with your crew!