Labor Day is so much fun: parades, fireworks, sunshine, time with friends and family, the list goes on and on! We celebrate the American workers on Labor Day, and what they do to help our country. The way most people tend to celebrate is with a cookout with friends and family.
I want to give you a few tips on how to have a spectacular Labor Day cookout and be the talk of the neighborhood for months to come.
- The More People You Invite, the More FUN You Will Have! Even though more people typically means more stress, you can make things a little easier on yourself. Ask everyone you invite to bring a side dish or a dessert. That takes some of the financial burden off yourself, and you know everyone will have at least one dish their family will eat.
- Think Outside the Box for the Menu. Burgers and Hot Dogs are a given… but why not try something big and bold like steaks and shrimp? Obviously, if you invite the entire neighborhood, steaks and shrimp may not be very cost effective, but you can still go big and bold even with just burgers and dogs. If you can’t afford the expensive meats, go big and bold with the toppings: avocado, juicy tomatoes, robust cheeses, and more can make a big difference in your burgers.
- Have Activities for Everyone. Have lots of kids coming? Rent a bouncy house for the backyard. Set up a sprinkler with your water hose. Head to Champs Sports to stock up on items like a volleyball and net, a badminton set, and more. Give the people toys, and they’ll have a great time!
- Make Sure You Have Seating for Everyone – whether you stock up on blankets from Bed Bath and Beyond or you rent tables and chairs from a reputable company, make sure everyone has a place to park their seat. 😉
- Consider the Extras: Have music playing, (or rent a dj), consider having a raffle for fun items, rent animals for a petting zoo for the kids if you have the land to do so, get special t-shirts made, decorate with flags everywhere, have a fireworks show. The little touches and the big bangs can really make your Labor Day cookout one the neighborhood will never forget.
You don’t have to go all out for your cookout, but these are some definite ways you can push your cookout over the top.
What else can you think of that would make a cookout spectacular?