Summers are here and so are the vacation plans. Vacations have become important for us given the stress that you have to deal with in our daily lives. Along with it, it also gives your children several opportunities to learn about new places, culture and of course budgeting. Instead of paying your travel bills with credit cards, why not plan it a bit in advance and save as much as you can, without compromising the quality of vacation though. Read on to know some of the ways by which you can budget your travel:
1. How you will travel? You can make a thorough analysis of the cost of flying versus the cost of driving. In most cases, driving will come out to be lot cheaper than flying. Driving can be a quite tiring, but you may end up having a great time with your family even before the vacation starts. Use any online travel site to make this comparison.
2. Staying options: If you have a close relative living at your travel destination, you can stay with him or you can either stay in a hotel or consider getting a guest house on rent. Going for a resort that is all inclusive is also a good option. You can even ask your children if they are up for a camping trip. Whatever option you choose, make a thorough comparison of all options in the terms of cost.
3. Save in meals: Going for local cuisine will help you save a lot of bucks. You can also take discount coupons offered by various coupon websites much in advance and use them to save money. Don’t forget to take recommendations from your fellow travellers about good places to eat. Try to avoid small fillers like snacks and sodas as much as you can as they can ruin your budget in the long term.
4. Select the activities to indulge: Leisure activities and sports form a considerable part of your travel budget. It would be beneficial if you take some time out in doing a research and make a list of all the available activities. You can discuss this list as a family and select the ones that are agreeable to all family members. Try to avoid individualistic activities as they won’t be able to give you value for money. This will also help your children to learn the values of adjustment.
5. Allocate the budget for kids: It is extremely hard to keep the kids in budget. You can allocate a fixed portion of your total budget and ask them to keep their expenses in that limit. This autonomy will help them prepare for their future as they learn to make choice within limited resources. Also encourage them to save from this budget to get souvenirs for their friends back home.
While you need to save each and every penny while you plan your travel, getting good travel insurance is highly recommended. You need a good policy to cover yourself for loses arising due to cancelation of flights, loss of documents and even medical needs. This will save you from several unforeseen situations in a foreign land. Making these simple calculations can help you to avoid using credit card for paying off your holiday bills.