Summer vacation is the perfect time for kids’ brains to shut down and go into vacation mode. They want to do as little as possible, and so they do just that. Then, when it’s time to head back to school, they have to reteach themselves everything they learned the last school year.
So, if you can keep the creative juices flowing all summer long, you won’t have to worry when it comes time to head back to school in the fall. Here are a few ideas to help spark the creativity and keep their minds fresh and functioning in the coming months.
- Story Telling – Making up stories is a great way to spark creativity in kids. Give them a topic or a few opening sentences, and then allow them to decide where the story goes. If they are old enough, have them write the story down. Not only does this spark their creativity, but it also helps reiterate their writing and grammar skills. If you’re not sure how to help them get started in their stories, do a search online for story starters. Then, let their minds start churning as they come up with the perfect story.
- Painting Ceramics – My kids have always loved painting just about anything they can get their hands on. Ceramics are a fun, easy way to spark their creativity, and let them paint things that they love. It can be items to match their bedroom, things to give as gifts, or something you place in your garden. Encourage your children to think outside the box when they’re painting. If they want to make purple bunnies and orange grass, let them do so. Show them there’s no limit to the imagination, and they can dream up anything they want! Check out these Big Ceramic Store coupon codes and save up to 20% on your order of ceramic supplies.
- Create their own Superhero – If your kids are older, have them draw up their own superhero. What kind of powers will he/she possess? Can he fly? Can she turn invisible? Once they’ve drawn their hero, have them write a story or create their own comic book about their superhero. This builds their imagination, and, again, boosts their writing and grammar skills.
- Art Supplies – Always, always, ALWAYS have lots of art supplies on hand. Pencils, sketchbooks, paint, chalk, markers, crayons, coloring sheets…. let them have access to different mediums, and keep their minds flowing with ideas. These Mr. Art promo codes can help you save money on your stash of art supplies, and keep their minds working all summer long.
- Rock Painting – Have you heard about the newest craze taking over towns all over the US right now? It’s rock painting, and kids are *loving* it. Even our tiny little town is in on the fun, and local businesses are even painting and hiding rocks around town. (Some of these rocks even have prizes on them. One of our local grocery stores gave away free coleslaw when you found their rocks.) Rock painting is tons of fun, and so is the hiding and the seeking. Take your kids on a rock-finding hunt to get some rocks to paint, then bring them home, paint them, (make sure you seal them with a water-proof seal like polyurethane), and then get out there and hide them. Your kids will not only get to keep their creative juices flowing, but they’ll also get some exercise with this project!
What other fun ideas can you think of to help spark your kids’ creativity?