Did you know February is National Hot Breakfast Month?
Yes, that’s really a thing. And, yes, it’s as fabulous as it sounds. In celebration of the national holiday, you can score deals on a litany of different breakfast foods at your local Kroger’s or other local grocer. Be on the lookout for great prices on the following items:
- Pancake Mix
- Maple Syrup
- Bread/Biscuit Mix
- Hash Browns
- Cereal (Yes, even the cold ones. And, no, this doesn’t really make sense. But who cares? You’ll save money.)
One nice thing about illogical cold cereal sales is that you can use the cereal to make a nice topper for your casserole. Without further ado, here is our favorite breakfast casserole, packed full of protein from eggs to keep you full, and topped with cornflakes:
National Hot Breakfast Month Breakfast Casserole
You will need:
- 2 c bread cubes (AKA bread cut into cubes that you have let sit out overnight)
- ¾ c cheddar cheese
- 2 ½ c milk
- 8 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 c crushed cornflakes
- ½ c melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish with 1 c bread cubes.
- Top the first layer of bread cubes with all of your cheese.
- Use the remaining 1 c bread cubes for another layer.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs. Then stir in milk, salt and mustard.
- Pour egg mix over the bread cubes.
- Top with cornflakes. Pour butter over cornflakes.
- Bake for one hour, or until done.
- Serve hot, with your favorite breakfast side!
Other Creative Hot Breakfast Ideas
After you try this one, feel free to experiment with other hot breakfast items. You can throw almost any vegetable into an omelette. Use this as an opportunity to clear out your fridge of any excess peppers, mushrooms, etc. to cut back on food waste.
Another breakfast food that allows for creativity is pancakes. You can go traditional, or you can add chocolate chips or blueberries into the mix. If you’re feeling the spirit of breakfast experimentation, you could also crush up some fresh-cooked bacon, put it into your pancake batter, and have the goodness of pancakes and bacon all at once. We’ve even seen pancakes of the peanut butter banana variety, where peanut butter is incorporated into the mix, and the stack is topped with sliced bananas.
If you want to play less with taste and more with presentation, waffle irons are a quick and easy way to do so. At places like Bed Bath and Beyond you can find everything from traditional waffle makers to those that will make your culinary creation look like bubbles, hearts, Mickey Mouse, Minnie mouse, or even Darth Vader. Just be sure to use coupon codes when you shop for maximum savings!
There’s no wrong way to celebrate this really real holiday, and so many ways to enjoy it. If you end up cooking something creative, or getting big savings on your breakfast food at the grocery store, be sure to show us on social media! We’d love to see what you cooked up.