If you ask a child what their favorite part of school is, odds are good the answer will be “Recess!” All kids love recess! I would also guess that many teachers love recess as well, because it’s the chance to relax for a few minutes, get outside, enjoy the fresh air, and watch the kids run off their energy!
Kids don’t need many items for fun, successful play at recess, but there are a few items they should have:
- Good shoes – Every child needs a good pair of running shoes for outside play. Avoid flip flops and sandals for play, as they aren’t made for running and hard play, and can end up hurting your child’s feet. Get your little one a pair of NIKEiD shoes at a great price, and send your child to recess with confidence, knowing you don’t have to worry about what kind of shoes they’re wearing.
- Play Clothes – Send your child to school each day in clothes that are easy to play in and are weather appropriate. If you know it’s going to be warm, send them in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. If the weather is starting to get a little chilly, make sure they have a jacket or sweatshirt to put on. Make sure clothes are loose fitting and comfortable to play in.
- Equipment – A ball, jump rope, even a hula hoop can make recess more fun. Many times the school will supply these items, but sometimes, especially if funds are low, the school may request you send in these items for your children.
- Water Bottle – It doesn’t matter what the weather is like, kids need to stay hydrated. A water bottle is one way to make sure they stay hydrated while they are outside running around. (Just remember: kids are kids. You may have to remind them to actually use their water bottle and not just take it outside. My kids are always needing a little reminder now and then.)
- Sunglasses – It is so important to protect your child’s eyes from the harsh sun. A good pair of sunglasses from somewhere like Sunglass Hut can make a real difference.
- A Great Imagination – The thing kids need most when it comes to recess is a great imagination. Monkey bars can become a race car, a slide a rocket ship… there’s no limit to the power of imagination. Encourage your child to play, explore, and have fun, and let them play in their own way
Those are just a few easy ways to make recess a little more fun for your kids this year. Please be sure to check with your child’s school and be sure he is allowed to have the items listed above. Always follow the rules of the school first.
What other ways can you make recess more fun for your kids?