Summer is the perfect time to get up, get out, and enjoy the beauty of the world around you. But, with the summer heat comes the summer sun. If you’re not careful, your skin can end up paying the price if you don’t take care to protect your skin from the harsh elements the sun puts out.
Several weeks ago, I took my kids to the pool. We had a great time, and I was careful to lather the kids up with sunscreen every 2 hours, just like the sunscreen bottle said. However, I never once thought about putting sunscreen on my own back, and I ended up with 3rd degree burns on my back and in the emergency room because of it.
So, I’ve created this list to keep myself in check, and help you out in the process! Here are my tips to help protect your skin this summer:
- Research and Purchase Sunscreen and USE IT – All sunscreens are not created equal. Do your research to find out which sunscreen is rated best and works best on you and/or your children. This may take some trial and error. Reapply the sunscreen often throughout the day, and even more often if you or your children are in and out of the water much of the day.
- Use Extra Protection between 10am and 4pm – The sun is hottest during this time of the day, so take extra precautions and find the shade as much as you can.
- Wear Sunglasses – Sunglass Hut offers the trendiest styles at prices you can afford. Protect those beautiful eyes, and look great while you do it!
- Protective Clothing and a Hat are a Must – By wearing clothing that protects you from the sun’s harmful rays, and a hat, you can protect yourself without the use of chemicals. This is also the best option for babies who can’t be loaded up with sunscreen. Grab your baby a cute new outfit from The Children’s Place to keep their skin safe.
- Stop Obsessing Over Being Tan! – This is my biggest downfall. I think that when it’s summer, I have to get a “gorgeous” tan. However, after my latest experience, and knowing what the sun did to my skin, I no longer want to pay the price that comes with exposure to the sun. I’ll be quite all right being the color of a porcelain doll, if it means my skin is healthy and happy!
- Drink Lots of Water – Keep yourself hydrated from the inside out. Your skin can get dehydrated quickly in the summer sun, so make sure to always have plenty of water on hand, and drink it.
- Create a “Skin Map” – Exposure to the sun’s rays can quickly lead to a nightmare. I recommend creating a skin map of your back and update it regularly to make sure there aren’t any changes to moles. If there are areas on your body you can’t see, have someone check the area for you. My husband took a picture of my back after my severe burn, and he will regularly check it to make sure there haven’t been any changes.
The summer sun is beautiful, but you must take extra care to keep your skin safe. Did I miss any tips? What do you do to protect your skin?