Tech giant Panasonic appears to be winning the super zoom race with the creation and launch of its Lumix DMC-FZ70 60x optical zoom camera. This camera has a range of 20-1200mm and an aperture which ranges from F2.8 to F5.9. It has one of the biggest zoom lenses that consumers can purchase in the market. Although it’s telephoto ability is the same as the Canon SX50, its zoom range begins at 20mm wide, giving a 12% wider and better field-of-view. Photographers can expect a wider shooting flexibility with this camera!
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 60x optical zoom camera has a 1 /2.3 inch CMOS sensor which is capable of capturing 1080/60i videos. The camera comes equipped with a windshield that is built in to the stereo microphone. This will enhance the quality of the sound on days with high winds. Panasonic is claiming an improvement of 70% in the signal-to-noise ratio. The microphone also zooms in and out with the lens.
Some of the major improvements over its predecessors include:
- A 60 by 20 to 1200 mm F2.8-5.9 lens
- In autofocus, it has a contrast detect sensor, multi area, center, tracking, single, continuous, and face detection
- Optical image stabilization
- A 1080/60i HD-video capability
- Maximum resolution of 4608 x 3456
- A 16.1MP 1/2.3 inch CMOS Sensor
- Enables raw shooting
- Supports MPEG and JPEG file formats
The Panasonic Lumix FZ370 has double the zoom capability compared to the Lumix DMC FZ60. The long focal ability gives the FZ70 effective image stabilization. Photographers also have the option of shooting in auto, manual and raw exposure modes.
This impressive set of lenses and optics was designed at a Japanese facility which has been in the business for over 25 years and has made lenses for DVD and CD players. The lenses were built in 12 groups with 14 elements set, with 3 low and 6 aspherical dispersion lenses. Zooming in with these telephoto lenses requires about four seconds, and it occurs quite smoothly. The subject is clearly revealed, along with details which the naked eye cannot spot. The image stabilization capability of the Lumix FZ370 is also quite impressive. This camera is able to fight off minor camera shakes and can easily shift to new subjects when it pans across a scene. For long periods of shooting, a tripod will become necessary.
Additional photographic Features
PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ70 comes with a host of features for brilliant photography. Some of its photography features include:
- A minimum shutter speed of 8 seconds
- A maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 seconds
- Exposure modes: intelligent auto, program, aperture priority, shutter priority, manual, custom, creative video, creative control, scene, and panorama shot
- Scene modes: soft skin, portrait, night portrait, sports, scenery, panning, night scenery, baby 1 and 2, sunset, HDR, food, pet, high sensitivity, glass through, 3d photo, and starry sky
In the U.S., the Panasonic Lumix FZ370 will be launched at an estimated $399 USD, Plus Free Shipping on everything. This is a competitive price point considering many of its 50x zoom predecessors sell for $450 and onwards. The Panasonic Lumix FZ70 is a photographer’s dream come true and if you have still not got yourself a photography camera and are looking for one, your search has come to a right end.